Top 5 Costumes: Martian Manhunter
J’onn has it a little tougher than our previous heroes and villains we’ve looked at in the past. He comes from Mars, meaning that what’s in style a planet away is not necessarily so here on Earth. On Mars everyone could have thought the only cool thing to wear was jean-jackets and bell bottoms. In reality Mars is not that type of fashion hell. J’onn has not had to worry about many costumes over the years as his original suited him just fine, but he still has had some excellent choices to pick from when he hits the streets with the Justice League. Sit back and relax to see our top picks for Martian Manhunter and then let us know your top five on Facebook or a twitter!
5. Justice League Generation Lost: In this possible future, J’onn is old and battle weary, but still out there fighting the good fight. His arm and leg sleeves are the biggest parts we don’t like, it almost makes him look like he’s ready for the ball. Yet the rest is solid; we like the body piece, gauntlets, and boots. Get rid of those silky sleeves and this is a great costume.
4. New 52: In his New 52 costume, the original costume was used as a template, but modified quite a bit. We’re not feeling the loincloth at all, which was the first mistake. The next misstep we think is with his cloak, we don’t like how it lies on his shoulders like the worlds smallest tank top.
3. Black Lantern: We love J’onn’s black lantern costume. The biggest reason? He’s scary as crap. In this he looks like something straight out of your nightmares. If J’onn ever does a solo team up with Batman, this is the costume he needs to strike fear in the criminals of Gotham, or anywhere for that matter.
2. Original: The original. Not many people other than a Spartan warrior could pull this off and make it look good. There is not much to it but his red straps, but with that awesome cape it all comes together. On the cape, this is our favorite way for him to wear it, with the collar flipped out.
1. 2000’s: While out top pick is not a costume he wore long, it is still our favorite. Like some other variations he has worn, this takes the original, but improves upon it. It was about time for him to get a full set of cloth to wear. He gets a normal costume, but still keeps his signature red straps. The only thing we do not like is the headgear he sports here, but even with that, it still tops the list.
Elseworlds: As said by Stuart Mackenzie: “I’m not kidding, that boy’s head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn’t it? He’ll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.” That about wraps up this in a nutshell. It’s not nice to stare, but I think even Batman could stop himself. As a final large complaint, as much as we like his collar flipped up, it’s not as good when the collar is that large. Does it grow in proportion to his head or what. In the end we don’t know if he needs a fashion consultant or a skilled surgeon. That has to be the world’s biggest tumor, right?