- Episode: The Sound and the Fury (S01E011)
- Review: ★★★★☆
Dr. Wells receives a threatening call from an unidentified person who shatters a glass ceiling in Dr. Wells home. Wells informs Barry and the team that the caller was Hartley Rathaway and that the police need not be involved. Hartley is a former protégé of Wells. Hartley begins an in the open daytime attack and when Barry captures him Hartley says that he knows the secret Dr. Wells is hiding.
Back at S.T.A.R. Labs Dr. Wells reveals that Hartley warned him that the particle accelerator could explode but that he chose to risk it for the potential rewards. However it is found that Hartley intentionally got caught so he steal information from S.T.A.R. Labs’ computer before escaping. Just before Barry confronts Hartley again, the team realizes that the information he stole was Barry’s lab scans. Hartley used them to identify the frequency of Barry’s molecules so he can kill him. Barry is on the brink of death when Well’s comes up with a plan to re-task a satellite and sends an alternative frequency to disable Hartley’s weapons. Barry then is easily able to take him in.
We find out that secretly Joe had Eddie look into something in Wells home and that Eddie is going to start a full secret investigation into Wells. Hartley this time is imprisoned properly in the particle accelerator, but he tells Cisco that he will let him out because he not only knows where Ronnie is but that he knows how to save him. We also learn that Wells is somehow loosing/not in full control of his own speed force.
A very good episode, but to make the viewer really feel like Hartley is a genius they made every one else really dumb. Barry falls for the same trick that he had since we learned it was a trick a second time. Some of the most obvious ideas seemed to be beyond the teams reach. I feel like they didn’t do a super good job of representing the Piper, but the end of the episode clearly shows we get to see more of him. Perhaps since he is so new at the whole criminal thing that they will eventually flesh him out better as they go along. Flash has two or three major arcs going here which they are doing a great job of keeping separate and evenly giving us more of each one.
– Though this Pied Pipers story does differ from his comic counterpart, it is a bit too early to say if he will be bad all the way through the series or not. I am interested to know if they will make him openly gay or not. The Pied Piper is a very note worthy character because he is one of the first and few main characters to be gay.
– It seems that with this episode we are officially introducing the speed force into the show! The Speed Force is the source of the DC universes speedsters powers.
– We got to see the Royal Flush Gang once again and I am hoping that their repeated appearances will lead to them becoming their more traditional supervillian selves.
– Not a real comic connection but I did like the “I have failed this city” nod from Arrow.
– As always if I have missed anything please let me know down below!